Monday 6 February 2017

Of Of Wow or: A glimpse behind the curtain, part 4

This time we've written something about the only lengthy instrumental track on the album.

Challenger Deep
Otto: One of those songs I came up with almost during one single sitting. I just sat at my computer with my guitar and bass and the song really wrote itself. Completely instrumental, this song rather obviously betrays my love for post-rock and post-metal.
Henri: If my memory serves me, we had this idea of a song that would be sort of like a continuation of “In the Trench”, and we even had the title ready: moving from the Mariana Trench into Challenger Deep, the deepest point on the surface of Earth. Wasn’t long when Otto came up with this thing. Instrumental, so the theme is carried on in name only, but it’s picked up in words also in the following song.

Otto: I enjoy how this song contrasts really massive and heavy parts with parts that are quite light and airy, yet never feeling too abrupt.

Although we've managed a few times to tackle this song through in our rehearsals, I really doubt that this song is ever going to be a mainstay in our live shows. The album version is so moody, I find it hard to replicate the song's crushing atmosphere live.


Of Woe or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Gloom is out now on our Bandcamp page as well as Spotify, Google Play, iTunes etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment